- Jackie Benitez Leaving Siena
- Siena Beats Monmouth: What Happened At Half Time?
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Semifinal Win Over Monmouth
- Siena Marches Into MAAC Semifinal With Win Over Fairfield
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Win Over Fairfield
- MAAC Tourney Preview: #4 Siena vs. #5 Fairfield
- MAAC Tourney Preview: #4 Siena Women vs. #5 Iona
- All MAAC Teams Announced
- Men’s and Women’s MAAC Championship Brackets
- Siena Tops Marist On Senior Day
Siena’s Marquis Wright Named MAAC Rookie of the Week
- Updated: November 25, 2013
Here is the release courtesy of the MAAC and Siena Athletics:
Siena freshman point guard Marquis Wright has been honored as the MAAC Rookie of the Week. Wright averaged 9.7 points, 5.3 assists, 2.3 rebounds and 1.7 steals while shooting 52% from the field and running a Siena team that posted its first two wins and pressed Purdue to the limit on the road.
Wright’s highlight performance came when he hit the game-winning shot, a wildly difficult runner off glass, in Siena’s 72-70 win over Atlantic 10 foe St. Bonaventure with just 0.2 seconds on the clock. Wright had seven assists without a turnover in the first half, helping Siena to 48 points – its most in the first half in 123 games.
Wright then scored a season-high 12 points and added four assists, making 4-7 field goals as the Saints knocked off Cornell on the road. Wright wrapped up his week with a 10-point, five assist, three steal effort in Siena’s hard fought 81-73 loss at Purdue. He again made 4-of-7 field goals against the Boilermakers.
Wright’s had more assists than turnovers in every game this season, and overseen a Siena offense that’s averaging just 13 turnovers per contest.
Wright and the Saints return to action Thanksgiving Day at 6:30 p.m. when they face #21/19 Memphis in the Quarterfinals of the Old Spice Classic at the HP Field House at Disney World.