- Jackie Benitez Leaving Siena
- Siena Beats Monmouth: What Happened At Half Time?
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Semifinal Win Over Monmouth
- Siena Marches Into MAAC Semifinal With Win Over Fairfield
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Win Over Fairfield
- MAAC Tourney Preview: #4 Siena vs. #5 Fairfield
- MAAC Tourney Preview: #4 Siena Women vs. #5 Iona
- All MAAC Teams Announced
- Men’s and Women’s MAAC Championship Brackets
- Siena Tops Marist On Senior Day
Siena Women Beat Iona In Regular Season Finale
- Updated: February 26, 2017
Senior Meghan Donohue came up big in Siena’s regular season finale as the Saints held on to beat Iona, 57-53 at the Times Union Center on Sunday. The Saints finish the MAAC slate with a 13-7 record tying them for third place with Fairfield. They enter the MAAC Tournament as the #4 seed.
Donohue recorded her second double-double of the season for the Saints (14-15, 13-7) with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Junior Kollyns Scarbrough added 11 points and 8 rebounds and surpassed the 1,000 point career milestone. She joins Donohue as one of 28 Siena players to do so.
Marina Lizarazu scored a game-high 21 points for Iona (17-12, 12-8). P Atkins-Gilmore added 12 off the bench. MAAC Player of the Year candidate Alexis Lewis, who averages 16.8 points per game for the Gaels, was held scoreless.
Siena started off the game on a 13-6 run, but Iona answered with a 9-0 spurt to take a 15-13 lead and at the end of one it was Iona 19, Siena 16. Denisha Petty-Evans knocked down a three-pointer with 6 seconds left in the second quarter to put the Saints up 31-30 at the half.
The Saints would continue to hold off the Gaels and would go up by as much as six four different times in the third quarter. Siena held onto a 46-43 lead heading into the final 10 minutes.
It was a tight fourth quarter and Iona held the lead with just over two minutes to go. Petty-Evans scored the go-ahead layup with 1:28 remaining to make it 54-53, Siena. Iona came up empty on their final four possessions, missing their last 3 shots as the Saints held on for the victory.
The two teams will meet once again in the quarterfinal of the upcoming MAAC Tournament as #4 Siena will take on #5 Iona on Saturday, Mar. 4 at 2:30 p.m. at the Times Union Center.
Postgame Press Conference