- NCAA Tournament Returning To Albany
- Hayley Winter Signs With Siena
- Siena Basketball Hands Out Year End Awards
- Willem Brandwijk Transferring From Siena
- Clareth and Degnan Named Siena Captains
- Jackie Benitez Leaving Siena
- Siena Beats Monmouth: What Happened At Half Time?
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Semifinal Win Over Monmouth
- Siena Marches Into MAAC Semifinal With Win Over Fairfield
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Win Over Fairfield
Siena Coaches Reflect on Jerry Tarkanian
- Updated: February 11, 2015
With the news of the passing of legendary college basketball Jerry Tarkanian, Siena men’s and women’s coaches Jimmy Patsos and Ali Jaques reflected on their connections with the Hall of Famer.
Patsos spoke about Tarkanian’s influence on the game in teaching up-tempo, run and jump, pressure defense.
“I did know Tark a little bit,” said Patsos. ”The greatest coach ever for pressure defense. Gary Williams learned from Tark. He (Tarkanian) was the greatest full-court defensive coach ever. Nolan Richardson and all those guys followed him.”
Patsos also spoke of his time while an assistant at Maryland, and his travels where he met up with Tarkanian
“Jerry Tarkanian taught me one thing,” explained Patsos. “‘Son you should really enjoy recruiting.’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ He said. ‘You’re in Vegas. You’re staying in a nice hotel, having a nice meal, why do all these guys hate recruiting?’ I said, ‘I’m with you.’ He really had an impact on me. He said if you’re gonna go recruit, enjoy it. He was a really well-read smart guy. Good guy.”