- NCAA Tournament Returning To Albany
- Hayley Winter Signs With Siena
- Siena Basketball Hands Out Year End Awards
- Willem Brandwijk Transferring From Siena
- Clareth and Degnan Named Siena Captains
- Jackie Benitez Leaving Siena
- Siena Beats Monmouth: What Happened At Half Time?
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Semifinal Win Over Monmouth
- Siena Marches Into MAAC Semifinal With Win Over Fairfield
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Win Over Fairfield
Saints Outlast Marist to Advance
- Updated: March 9, 2013
In a back and forth match up that came down to the final minute of play, it was the Siena Saints who outlasted the Marist Red Foxes by a score of 70-64 to advance to the MAAC Quarterfinals.
The see-saw nature of the contest should not have been a surprise. The two schools had played two close back and forth games in the regular season with each team earning a win. Similarly to those two games, it was the play of each schools top forward that played a large role in the outcome of this matchup. In the team’s matchup a week ago, Marist’s Adam Kemp dominated the Saints, tonight was Siena’s OD Anosike’s turn. Anosike erupted for team highs with 24 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists. Meanwhile the Saints did a terrific job of making adjustments and containing Kemp. The Marist forward ended the game with 13 points and 8 rebounds before fouling out late in the second half.
Siena’s Rob Poole was another major contributor to the winning effort. Poole, a benefactor of Anosike’s 5 assists, had 19 points on 7-11 shooting, including a game high 5 three pointers. Also in double figures for the Saints was Davis Martens with 10 points on a perfect 4-4 shooting from the field, including an unlikely three pointer.
With the win the Saints advance to face the MAAC regular season champion Niagara Purple Eagles. The Saints were 0-2 against Niagara in the regular season, but its a new season and right now the Saints stand a perfect 1-0.