- MAAC Preseason Polls and Awards Released
- Siena Men To Be Led By Senior Core
- Prince Oduro Commits To Siena
- Lavon Long Suspended For First Three Games
- Siena Men’s Schedule Released
- Sabrina Piper Commits To Siena Women’s Basketball
- Kenny Wormley Leaving Siena
- Ashante Shivers Commits To Siena
- Siena Supporter Willie Turchi Passes Away
- Jonathan Joseph Granted Release From Siena
Pre 80′s Game
- Updated: July 26, 2011
Tonight’s matchup feature the number one seed in the pre 80’s bracket Fred Shear vs the number 8 seed Howie Tucker. Here is a look at the matchup.
Fred Shear (1) played for Siena from 1970 to 1973. When looking at his accomplishments it is important to remember that they came in a time when players were only eligible to play for three years, played fewer games in a season and had no 3-point shot. His 1400 points ranks 12th all time at Siena. Besides being an avid scorer he was also a force on the boards. His 658 rebounds ranks 15th all time. During the 1970-1971 season he had 282 rebounds for an amazing average of 11.3 per game. Fred averaged 20.3 points per game for his career and was twice named AP College Division All American Honorable Mention.
Howie Tucker (8) was a member of Siena’s first basketball team in 1938. This team won the first ever Siena game defeating Niagara thus igniting a long tradition of winning. Howie was the first Siena athlete inducted into the Siena Sports Hall of Fame in 1964. He was the leading scorer for three straight seasons. He went on to be one of most successful high school coaches in capital region history. Howie was a coach and teacher at Ravena for 32 years where his basketball, baseball and football teams won 48 league championships. After retiring from Ravena he came back to the Siena Basketball program where he served as assistant coach under Billy Kirsch and John Griffin.
Fred Shear (1) vs Howie Tucker (8)
- Fred Shear (1) (90%, 92 Votes)
- Howie Tucker (8) (10%, 10 Votes)
Total Voters: 102
Polls will remain open until 11:59pm on the 28th.