- Jackie Benitez Leaving Siena
- Siena Beats Monmouth: What Happened At Half Time?
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Semifinal Win Over Monmouth
- Siena Marches Into MAAC Semifinal With Win Over Fairfield
- Postgame Comments Following Siena Win Over Fairfield
- MAAC Tourney Preview: #4 Siena vs. #5 Fairfield
- MAAC Tourney Preview: #4 Siena Women vs. #5 Iona
- All MAAC Teams Announced
- Men’s and Women’s MAAC Championship Brackets
- Siena Tops Marist On Senior Day
MAAC Fans Look To Break Guinness Book Knockout Record
- Updated: February 17, 2015
MAAC Will Host an Attempt
to Beat the Guinness Book Of World Records for Knockout
You Can Help Set the Record in Albany
The Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championships, playing in Albany from March 5-9 are organizing a fun family game of Knockout at the Times Union Center this Saturday Feb. 21 starting at 1:30 p.m. The goal is to beat the existing Guinness Book Of World Records mark for the most number of people playing Knockout on one date, using one basketball hoop. The current record of 629 participants was set in October at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The MAAC is confident they can lead the charge to beat that record in Albany where Siena College fans consistently beat records.
Event Details: Open registration is free and will take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. on the atrium of the Times Union Center, 51 South Pearl Street in Albany. The Knockout continuous game starts at 1:30 p.m. There is a competitive MAAC Men’s Basketball Game between Siena Saints and the Manhattan Jaspers starting at 7 p.m. that night in the event anyone participating in the Knockout Challenge wants to purchase tickets and stay for the game. The Knockout game rules are below.
How to Register: Register starting at noon at the Times Union Center. Everyone who participates will receive a voucher for one complimentary ticket to the MAAC Men’s Championship game at on Monday, March 9 at 9 p.m.
Who can participate? Anyone and everyone. As long as you can shoot a basketball, and are wearing appropriate shoes for the game on the basketball court, you can participate in the Knockout Challenge record attempt. No need to bring a basketball since they will be provided.
The Winner of the Knockout Challenge will receive two all-session passes to the MAAC Championships March 5-9 and a MAAC championship cap. The Runner Up will receive two tickets to the Awards Banquet on Friday, March 6 and a MAAC championship cap.
Single session tickets for the men’s and women’s sessions are priced starting at $18.50. Children’s tickets are just $8 for select levels.
All-session passes are also on sale starting at $120. Each pass allows you to enjoy all nine sessions, 20 games. Both all-session passes and single session passes are available at the Times Union Center Box Office, charge by phone at 800-745-3000, at select Wal-Mart music centers or online at timesunion.com. Groups rates are available for all sessions by calling 518-487-2100.
Knockout Game Rules:
- Two players or more in a single-file line, typically starting at the free-throw line.
- Two basketballs, held by the first two players in line.
- The first player in line begins the game by taking an initial shot.
- As soon as the first player has taken the initial shot, the second player may step up to the line and take his or her shot.
- If a player’s initial shot does not go in, he or she may rebound the basketball and attempt to make a basket from any location as quickly as possible
- Once a player makes a basket, he or she must immediately pass the ball to the next player at the front of the line and then go to the end of the line. The player at the front of the line may take his or her shot immediately upon receiving a ball.
- If any player does not make his or her shot before the person in line behind them, he or she is “knocked out” and is out until a new game starts.
- The order of the players in line cannot change during the game except by shrinking in size as players are knocked out.
- The game continues until everyone is knocked out except for one final player, who is deemed the winner.
- The object of the game is for the players to “knockout” the player in front of them until they are the final player left.